Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Blah.

So first of all... it is freakin' cold outside. 

During my run today, i went by a thermometer board that had the temperature at 34 degrees.  With the wind chill, it's safe to say that it was well into the 20's.  Blast my body's inability to handle running on a treadmill, where it's nice and warm!

Anyways... two days ago i set out for a 10 miler, the first one since the marathon.  At about the first mile marker i was crossing a main intersection and accidentally stepped in a pothole and rolled my right ankle (yes, that is my reconstructed one.)  I managed to "run off" some of the pain for about 5 miles, but had to call it quits at mile 6 since it just hurt too much.  

I was scheduled to run 10-15 miles yesterday morning with my good friend Mary Hankin, but i nearly collapsed when i put weight on my ankle getting out of bed at 8am.  Ah yes, it was like deja vu, back to my old soccer days when this was a daily occurrence.  It didn't seem to bother me so much back then, maybe this "being physically healthy" thing is making me soft.  

::shrug::

Decided against running yesterday and lifted hard at the gym instead.  Rounded up the night with an hour and a half swim training session.  I'm pretty stoked that on November 2nd, the team i'm swimming with actually has a meet up in Rochester at RIT.  Should be a great time... just like the ole' high school days, only swimming, not diving, and against really really old people.  Errr...

Much to my delight (horror,) we emerged from the pool area to a winter wonderland.  First snow of the season.  I immediately popped the trunk and rummaged around for the snow brush / scraper and did the neighbourly thing and brushed off my fellow relay members cars.

So today i decided to head out for a long run again.  Mind you, it wasn't high miles today, but 6.7 miles is something considering how cold and windy it was and how "old school" my ankle was feeling.  It's just horrible that after a serious athletic career altering injury, any little thing that happens to that body part afterwards is amplified 10 fold.  Both physically and mentally.  

It's hard to get that confidence back.

Went out (way too fast) and rounded the first mile in just under 6 minutes.  Whoa there Nate... slow down buddy.  Settled in and just started cruising.  It was FREEZING but the pace was comfortable overall.  Towards the end my ankle began to stiffen up and the pain migrated back to my right achilles tendon area (which i have also had problems with in the past.)  At the end of the 6.7 miles, the inside of my right knee had also joined in the pain game (where i have a partially torn mcl,) but to my delight, my left leg felt wonderful.

I'll take pleasure where i can get it! (thats what she said.)

Finished in just under 48 minutes averaging 6:58 per mile.

Hopefully my ankle and knee wont be too sore tomorrow and i can get out for a longer run.

Run / Lift / Swim tomorrow.

Pitt Homecoming this weekend.

Woo!!!

No comments: