Monday, September 22, 2008

Eric's Race Day Part 1

More posting and pictures to come. This is a quick synopsis.

Thank you for all the support everyone gave me and now I have completed my first (of many) triathlons. I wanted to share with you my stats. My initial goal was to complete the events, but also to do it under two hours. I am happy to say, I succeeded with a final time of 1h and 56m. My overall place was 381 out of 455 (in my "sprint" distance. A good showing for my first race I think.

Let me break down the race for you:

Swim: 21:10 (swim 0.5 miles) Not great at all. Let's just say that I did not prepare enough for the swim. Luckily the lake was a little shallow so I could walk when I needed. The water was 62 degrees and the air temperature was about 51 degrees. Not bad when you are just in small speedo shorts. Lots of people were in wetsuits...smart people.

Transition 1: 4:15 (Swim to Bike) After a short run from the lake to the transition area (on cinders and dirt... smart...very smart) I arrived and found my bike. There were about 1000 of them there so needless to say it looked a little overwhelming. Found my bike and tried to quickly dry off my feet and get my socks and shoes on. Struggled to get my shirt on over my wet skin. Saw my brother go by me and then I started to panic. I actually put on my helmet grabbed my bike and went...WITHOUT MY SHOES. Realized this quickly and went back and got them on. Idiot. That will be improved.

Bike: 57:54 (bike 14.5 miles) Not that bad. There were more hills than my training had prepared me for. I quickly passed my brother (sorry JM) and pushed myself hard. My breathing was good but I was tired. Luckily I could down some water and Gatorade at this time. The course was beautiful and there were some great moments when I was just cruising down a hill and saw the huge lake in front of me...felt the wind blowing...and it was just really peaceful. The bike is where I started to feel like the race was something I was meant to do.

Transition 2: 1:34 (Bike to Run) With a much needed boost of cheering from my Dad on the sidelines, I quickly glided into the transition area. Some jackass had put their bike in my spot so I had to quickly adjust and hurry as fast I could. Put on my LIVESTRONG hat and downed some water and went.

Run: 31:07 This was a not great time but I was happy considering all that I had been through already. The run felt pretty good and it was really exhilerating that while running we all kept pushing and encouraging each other. I can't tell you how many "You are doing great!" and "Stay strong..you are almost done" I heard. The sense of togetherness and support was just amazing. It kept us all going.

As I ran through the huge crowds of people on the final tenth of a mile, I saw Adam, my mom and dad, sister in law and niece and nephew and knew that I had done it. After all these months of training, the end of my goal was finally near. I smiled at them and actually started to tear up a little. The crowd cheering me on, having no clue who I was, but all knowing that what I just did was not easy, but I had done it.

I heard Nate's voice telling me to keep it up and push on my last strides toward the finish. My coach and inspiration for the race. He told me I could do this in May and now, months later he was telling me to finish.

And I crossed.

1hr and 56 minutes from when I hit that cold water. I made my goal. It was awesome.

Thank you for all your kind words and support. This is only the beginning and I will keep you updated on all that I do.

Cheers,

e

No comments: