Wednesday, September 10, 2008

I Cycle. A Lot.

Each time i head out on a ride i seem to not bring myself to come in as early as i used to.  My time in the saddle has gotten progressively longer and the distances i've been riding have steadily farther.

This evening i rode around for about 2 hours and covered 38 miles.

The second part of the ride was the new route for the Finger Lakes Triathlon.  I was training the old route until last week it was brought to my attention that it was changed.  Great right?  No more initial steep climb... oh, but wait... instead its a gradual few mile climb mixed with a healthy dose of vehicle exhaust.

Personally, i would have rather just hammered up the steep climb with no car exhaust than have to endure this new route with it.  

All in all it wasn't too bad.  I wasn't going too hard since i had already cycled about 20 miles, but overall i still managed to finish the route with an average speed of 18-19 mph.  I guess we'll see what happens.

                                    - elevation chart for todays ride.

List of dead animals i saw on my ride today -
1. chipmunk
2. skunk
3. raccoon
4. cardinal
5. snake
6. weird little black and yellow bird.  i call it the Livestrong bird.
7. anna nicole smith  (what?!  too soon?)

Oh, and i broke the 700 mile mark for cycling since July.  I only needed a couple miles going into today... so now i'm looking forward to the 1,000 mile mark.  Could happen by the end of September!

Lifted earlier... wednesday is a day off from swimming, and running... well, i just ate dinner... i might just have to head out before my cycling tomorrow for a 10 miler or so.  Yes... i'm slacking on my running.  I did a 3 miler yesterday sub 19 minutes, so i'm not too worried.

Oh oh oh!  One story from my ride!

So i was nearing the end of my venture and i come to an intersection.  A car with an older woman who clearly should not have been driving was coming at me from the road to the left.  So i stop and wait for her to go by.  No turning signal, she stops in front of me and after about 15 seconds with no traffic anywhere, decided to make a left turn... which conveniently put her in front of me.

Followed her for about a quarter of a mile to a stop sign.  The only options were to turn left, go straight, or flip a bitch and go back the other way.  She signaled left... but went straight.  Ok... thats two strikes in my book in less than a half mile.  Maybe about 150 yards ahead we hit another stop sign.  Options : left or right.  She hits the signal... right it is.  WAIT!!  NO!!!  Surprise surprise she turns left.  

RIGHT SIGNAL FOR A LEFT TURN!

At this point i was in utter disbelief.  Deciding not to filter my inner thoughts, i said "wow, you've got to be F%$#ING kidding me!"  As she turned i saw her window was open.  Oops.  She looked back at me, i waved, and turned right to continue my ride.  Unreal.

So seriously... how do people like this get on the road?!  To think the most pressing issues on the top of police lists are (not in order of importance):
1. Front license plates (yes, we have to have one in NY.  Sucks.)
2. J-walking
3. Underage drinking
4. Drinking in parks
5. Cleaning up after your dogs in parks.

I really love how our resources are going to such worthwhile, life or death matters!

No comments: