Monday, July 14, 2008

Hills are the devil, but they sure do help.

Today was a "successful" day... however, i've come to realize my definition of "success" makes me want to collapse and die.  

Intense cycling day... 44 miles and the most difficult hill climbs in the area.  I made it my goal not to stop and get off my bike at all until i made it to the top of each hill, and even then, i only did so that i could turn around and admire the work i had just done.  haha.

My new mantra: you have to earn going down hill.  unless you've climbed the hill first, you aren't deserving of the downhill run.  I'll tell you what, my biggest climb of the day was a scary ass downhill.  I topped out near 50 mph... well, 48.2 mph, and all that was going through my mind was "well, if i hit a rut or a stone in the wrong place, i'm done for."  super.  haha.

Hill workouts definitely help with all other aspects of cycling though i've found.  My average speed is up, its easier to hammer in lower gears, its just easier overall.  

Hill workouts: a necessary evil.

Got home, changed, rushed straight to the gym and lifted back and shoulders. 

Here it is now, 9:30 pm.  About to eat dinner and then head out for an evening 6 mile run or so. 

I have a feeling my numbers this week just might be kind of absurd.

No comments: