Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Back to training after LIVESTRONG.

Yesterday i got back on the bike and decided to do a serious hill workout.  Cycled around for about 10 miles to warm up and then headed to Lincoln Hill (which is the first climb on the Finger Lakes Triathlon course.)

Measured the distance from bottom to top and it came out to be .7 miles.  Shorter than i had previously estimated.  I remember two years ago in the last Finger Lakes Tri that i participated in i did the climb in just over 5 minutes.  With that as my only benchmark, i went to work.

Did the first climb in a little over 3 minutes, coasted down, 2nd climb took about 2:50, coasted down, and the next 3 climbs were all shy of 3 minutes.  I'm going to do 2-3 serious hill workouts a week now in preparation of the race since i know that is where i lost a lot of time in the past.

Ended the session with another few miles and hard sprints around the old Primary School bus loop.  A few young girls decided to join me (no i did not get their numbers, they were too young... even for me,) and kept pulling off to the side when i was about to pass them, saying "you're fast Mr. Bicycle Man."

It was cute.  Just take my word for it.

The total mileage ended up being 25.1 miles.

Today the legs felt good... i was surprised they weren't sore from the climbs yesterday.  Sooo i decided to head out for a 10.2 mile run.  

It had been a few days since i last ran, so my legs were fresh (minus the minor cycling fatigue.)  Went out pretty fast and was able to hold the pace... actually, i was able to go stronger and faster from miles 5 - 10.2.  The route i take passes my house at about mile 6 and i sometimes stop to stretch and get some water, but i completely bypassed that and ran the distance all the way through.

About halfway in i set my goal to finish in 1:10 (1 hour 10 minutes,) which would put me under 7:00 per mile on average.  Unfortunately, i finished in 1:12:44 which put me at 7:07 per mile, but this was still about 7 minutes faster than my previous personal 10.2 mile best.

This is way under my needed 7:50 per mile pace (or so) to finish the Baltimore Marathon in a time where i win prize money.  For those of you that don't know, the Baltimore Marathon offers a cash purse for those who have never run a marathon before and finish the race in under 3:25.  So fingers crossed, i'll be getting paid on October 11th.

Right now my hamstrings are a little tight and my calves are hurting a bit, but hopefully a nights rest will cure that.  

Tomorrows workout agenda:
- 10.2 mile run in the morning
- Hill workout on the bike again (approx. 25 miles)
- 3.5 mile run in the afternoon
- Lifting: back and shoulders
- If i feel so inclined... swimming 5,000 yards between 8:30 - 10pm.

There's a race i may do this weekend thats fairly local... another 5k.  This one is a straight up race so i'm hoping i can latch on to someone faster than myself, have them pace me, and then beat them on the final kick.  I don't mean to toot my own horn, but my finishing kick is pretty ridiculous.  

Toot toot.