Saturday, August 30, 2008

Crosswinds 5k.

I am the type of person that absolutely cannot get a stellar nights sleep before a race.  No matter how tired i am, i get so antsy and can't turn my brain of while thinking about difference scenarios and how the race will play out.  

That being said... i got 4 hours of sleep last night before the race, if that.

Up this morning at 7, even though i had been laying there for quite some time.  I feel like i was waking up every 5-10 minutes on my own, and although my alarm was set for 7 am, i hate that alarm clock sound so i just got up at 6:58 when i woke the latest time.

Moped around, got some fluid in me.  Felt hungry but resisted the temptation and decided to race this one without eating breakfast and only used the stored energy from dinner last night.  I knew it was a possibility that if i ate anything it might come right back up since the course was definitely harder than last week and i was feeling fatigued as hell.

Got to the race site at about 8am, registered, and the waiting began.  God i hate waiting.  It makes me even more anxious and antsy to get out there and run.  

While i was stretching, the only thing i could do was look around and scope out the competition... definitely a stronger group than in Philly.  A lot of high school and collegiate runners in their short shorts and running tank top gear.  I love being a sleeper in the crowd.  Out of no where i see an old friend from high school, Andy Crawford, who is insanely fast.  Of course, he was in my age group... welp... scratch winning my group.  

We got to talking and i asked him what his goal time was for today.  His nonchalant reply was "well, i'm coming off an injury, so if it feels good and i actually race it, i'll run it in around 16... but if i just treat this as a training run, maybe around 17."

Jesus.  Right.  Essentially what he was saying is that he will be showered, changed, and sat down to eat by the time i cross the line.  

As we line up for the start, i stay near Crawford thinking that i could probably hang with him for at least the first mile or so.  We muscled our way to the front of the starting group (always start where you plan on finishing, right Irial?) and off we went.  

Got off fast from the line and managed to secure myself in the lead pack.  Crawford passed me after about a half mile, but he was the only one to do so the entire race, so i was pretty happy with that.  Of course he kept going... and i knew there was no way i could keep pace with him.

He's a ridiculously strong runner.

Crossed the first mile marker in a time of 5:43.  Oh crap.  Out too fast... not good.  I knew it was going to be a struggle to keep a 6 minute mile pace from here on out and with the dreaded hill coming up between miles 2 and 3.1 ... i would be lucky to stay under 20 minutes.

From mile 1 - 2 it was a sharp downhill and flat, so it was a chance to rest a bit and just let the body go.  The first place guy was so far ahead, i couldn't see him, but i could still see Crawford (who was in a battle for 2nd with another guy,) that other guy, and an older man directly ahead of me.  I drafted off of him for about a half mile and then passed him at about mile 1.75.  My 2 mile split was 11:50, so i fell off my first mile pace a bit, but it was still under a 6 minute mile.

The end of the race was the hardest i've experienced in running.  All uphill.  My body kept telling me to "walk.  WALK DAMMIT!"  and it took all my willpower to shut off my brain and just enjoy the pain and go... one foot in front of the other.  

I could still see the 2nd -4th place people in front of me, but they were a minute ahead, and on the uphill, and nearly out of gas, catching them wasn't even on my agenda.  At this moment it was "alright nate, don't shut down and DON'T let anyone pass you."

The crowds along the streets helped a lot and there were a lot of people that i knew from high school and living in Canandaigua.  Old classmates, friends, teachers, etc.  It was great to see them all and the one constant reaction was "oh,  you're a runner?!"  

No, i'm not.  I'm a reformed soccer player.

Came into the finish area... lined on either side with cheering spectators and finally crossed.

19:11.  

5th overall.

3rd in my age group.

My goal was to get around 18 minutes and to win my age group, but considering the competition i had, the shape of my body after a hard week of training, and the difficulty of the course, i'm pretty happy with how things turned out.

I think i surprised a lot of people who didn't expect me to keep up with the big dogs... and thats just fuel for the fire.  I love to prove people wrong.

So there's still room for improvement... but at least i proved something to everyone and myself and that i am a force to be reckoned with.  I'll only get better and faster from here.

Oh, and i got a nifty engraved bronze medal too:) 

No comments: