Friday, August 29, 2008

Oops. Race Tomorrow.

So yesterday i did mile repeats at the FLCC x-country course.  Essentially it's a speed workout where you try to keep a consistent mile speed, rest a couple minutes, and then repeat at the same pace 4 times.  

Splits:

Mile 1 - 6:01
Mile 2 - 5:54
Mile 3 - 6:02
Mile 4 - 6:07

I was going to do a hill workout afterwards but my hamstrings were tight and giving me problems over the last 2 miles.  Keep in mind these are X-COUNTRY splits... hills, grass, mulch, holes, etc ... so if my split times don't seem that fast, now you know why.

Today decided to go out and do an easy 7 miles.  Finished the first 3.5 in 23:09 and the overall 7 in a little over 50 minutes.  The second 3.5 i shut it down and just cruised, to the point where i could have a conversation while running.  Hamstrings again felt tight and i'm chalking that up to the intense workouts this week.

Now, I was planning on doing a 5k on Sunday, but when i got home, my brother informed me that no, we aren't doing the race on Sunday, but instead we're doing a 5k TOMORROW morning which gives me less than 12 hours to get rested and ready to run hard.  I usually like to have AT LEAST a day rest before a race, so this is going to be interesting.  Oops.

My time this past weekend was 21 minutes flat and that was getting caught up in traffic.  The winner of this race last year came in just shy of 18 minutes, so i'm hoping that i can latch on to one of the top guys as a pacer... because i know if i have to pace myself i will probably struggle as i will already be fatigued.

At the very least, i hope to win my age group.

We'll see how it goes!